Wednesday, November 05, 2014

On Luck


What is luck?

Definition from Merriam-Webster

We have a complicated relationship with this term as evidenced by this exchange between the Ubersuccessful Howard Schultz of Starbucks and Oprah of (The Oprah Universe):



Oprah's stance on luck is well-known (She doesn't believe in it)  here is a discussion from Yahoo

I myself belief in Luck. I have been lucky many times in my life. I enjoy  being a working actor and Filmmaker but I am keenly aware of the happy accidents that have put me in the right place at the right time over and over again.
Now I won't deny that I am engaged always in a continuous process to improve my skills. I also work daily at advancing my projects and interests with massive (and what I perceive to be) intelligent actions. But I know many people who do the same and have not been able to crack this town.
In short I am a Lucky Guy!

From Practical Ethics

Here is an excellent piece on "Luck" from Professor Michael Mauboussin on HuffingtonPOST

Another thing to consider- Am I Lucky because I think I am. Has this thought turned into a core belief? Is it embedded so deeply in my psyche that I cause lucky occurrences to happen? (ala The Placebo Effect)
The word itself (meaning the visual interplay of the letters) seems to have a certain kind of happy quality. Or maybe that's just a a programmed cultural response I carry. Anyway...
Let's try something:
I am going to attempt to spread "Luck" This is a lucky digital talisman I have made feel free to take it and see if maybe Good Fortune can be spread.
"Luck" from Paul Parducci

Later,
The Very Lucky,
Paul Parducci

PS: If you like this I am now on Facebook

No comments: